Monday, April 18, 2016

Unmasked: An Interview with Miss Kat Sass



Hey Squirrel Friends, Were Back! Are you ready? You, are you ready! Drum roll please, I am bringing out a new Lady Queen, Drag queen or artist I am inspired by every two weeks! Lets introduce the sparkly, the talented one of my favorite Lady Queens all the way from Chicago, the talented Miss Kat Sass. 

Kat Sass is an interplanetary unicorn who also happens to be Werrrk.com's Bioqueen of the Year. She is a production designer, makeup artist, and wig designer for film, tv, and opera. She enjoys puppies, chiffon, smoothies, and gangster rap. 

I am beyond excited whenever I am able to speak to, feel inspired by and or connect with a fellow Lady Queen. Their are so many of us all around the world, each with our own unique style, personality and talents, luckily Facebook and social media gives us the ability to connect with each-other and gives us the opportunities to see each-others work and passion even if it's only virtually.

I came across Kat's work over social media and had been following her for while, feeling inspired not just by her look but also her talent, motivation, drive and her success within her community. I felt drawn to  her outspoken personality, her knowledge as well as her love for her craft and her ability to push boundaries in drag and in art. I reached out to her over Facebook and asked her if I could conduct an interview with her and here are the results.

Where does your drag name come from and what does it mean to you personally?

My drag name comes from my actual name (Katerina) and my last name is basically a dumb butt joke. What I like about it is that I think it well reflects my sparkly, snappy performance style, and that I don't take myself too seriously, 


 Tell me a little bit about your performance experience prior to drag and what made you start exploring drag?

I'm a classically trained actor and as I faced the reality that I was going to spend my career at the mercy of every director and casting agent I was like....FUCK THAT. I'll make my own work, and be my own director, producer, designer, and performer. I started doing performance art and then got cast in a drag musical, as a drag queen of sorts. I quickly became obsessed and started trying to paint and studying drag for hours everyday. 

 What is the drag scene like in Chicago?

The Chicago drag scene I think is the envy of the drag world. We are pumping out wacky, gorgeous talent at an alarming rate, and frankly when already famous drag queens move HERE to work it says everything.  

 Did you have a drag mother who mentored and coached you at all and if so how did she guide you?

My drag mother is Madame X. She is the first person who put me in drag and thank god for her couture sensibilities and playful style....without her I would definitely be a booger queen. She is pretty hands off, in a fairy godmother sort of way. I know if I ever have a question or need something, she will be there. I'm very fortunate. 

5) How would you describe your drag style/ aesthetic?

Dazzlingly Glamorous and Deeply Disgusting.  


 How would you describe your performance style?

I'm a live singer who belts my ass off in the splits in a full corset and massive shoes. I like to make bold performance choices- last month I cut off Donald Trump's head with a pizza cutter and ate his brains onstage. I recently did a dramatic Spanish fan dance as a dilaphosaruus (The spitting dinosaur.) 



Who are some of your drag inspirations?

Dolly Parton, Ursula the Sea Witch, Alexander McQueen, and Bugs Bunny. 

 I notice you sing a lot in a lot of your live performances which I do in a lot of  my performances as well. Would you say you enjoy singing more then lip syncing or vice versa?

Each presents its own challenges. People might think that because I can sing my ass off that I might look down on lip syncing...its quite untrue, really. I think a brilliant lip sync artist is a terribly exciting thing to watch...I just started lip syncing this year and it's fun and damn difficult. 



\

What is your favorite performance to date and why? 

I like my live sung King George striptease from the musical Hamilton. Its gender ambiguous and has a wig reveal!

  As a woman who does drag have you ever experienced backlash, audience heckling or community outrage about your gender?

Hahahah, yes a good bit recently, because of the RuPaul twitter Bioqueen controversy. My response is not to fight any naysayers with words, but rather to produce my own shows, to make kick ass content, and to book book book! I think I am among the queens who work the most here- I put in the time and work it takes to make it a career. Once someone sees me perform, they get what I am doing. 

 Do you find empowerment through drag and how does it empower you?

I have always been extremely powerful energy wise but it taught me to be totally grounded and open, and to expect everything and nothing all at once. It's made me more zen, actually.  

 Do you feel that their are misconceptions about women who do drag and what do you think they are?

Some people think we just dab on some lipstick and put on a wig...not so, dahling! We do everything drag queens do except tuck. I get shit also because some people who don't know me think I'm a cisgender hetero intruding on queer space. Well I'm not those things, and frankly I don't like how our community will just assume that- its the oppressed oppressing each other. I'm way more into inclusivity and unity. 

What is your favorite thing about doing drag?

All the trade I get. (Just kidding no one ever hits on me.)  

 You just put together a show called The Faux Show on March 14th, how would you describe that show and what made that show unique and different from other shows in Chicago?

Well, it was the first Bioqueen centric (but all inclusive) show in Chicago's herstory, and it was super sold out, which is terribly exciting. My drag daughter Dicksie Pictoria brought the idea to me and we shaped it and put it on together at Second City!  We will be moving the show to Berlin Nightclub on May 15th and we are very excited to have that as our new home! Anyone (kings, queens, and everything in between) can apply to do our show by emailing ihatekatsass@gmail.com with one or two number ideas and some performance video and photos. We are also taking newbies that want to try it for the first time! Don't be shy, just email us! 

 Do you have any upcoming performances you'd like to talk about?
My upcoming shows are: 
4/21 Spectacle at Untitled Nightclub at 10 pm
4/23 Host Naughty Little Cabaret at Mother's at 8 pm 
4/23 The Drifter at 11 pm 
4/26 Host brand new TRUTH OR BARE at Berlin Nightclub at 10 pm 
4/29 The Drifter at 9 pm 
4/30 Host Naughty Little Cabaret at Mothers at 8 pm 
5/4 Trannikas Most Wanted Broadway Babies at Berlin at 10 pm 

 Do you have any advice for budding Lady Queens or Bio Queens who want to do Bio drag?

Do twice the work you see drag queens doing and EARN THEIR RESPECT. PRACTICE ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR CRAFT. Be a great performer or practice until you are. Take advice from Queens you trust and never let your ego get in the way of growth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment